[cvsnt] Re: New Bugs - Upgrading from CVSNT 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1976 to CVSNT 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2115

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Oct 17 01:28:03 BST 2005

Jakob Kruse wrote:
> I just tried downgrading the server to 2.5.01.1976. It changes the error,
> but doesn't seem to remove the problem. Where 2.5.02 would give me the
> "Unknown Error -1" error, 2.5.01 gives me:
>
> cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: authorization failed: server <censored> rejected
> access to /myrepo for user Jakob Kruse
>
> Using Tortoise this results in a login prompt, after which Tortoise sends a
> cvs login command, but the error just comes again.

This is the problem with using usernames with SSPI.  It's much better to
just let the default authentication handle it.

eg. if you're on a laptop for example, which commonly isn't logged into
the domain, if you use foo at server, you'll actually be trying to log into
LAPTOP\foo at server, which is not going to work.

Once domain trusts get involved it gets even more complicated...

If you let the SSPI negotiation handle it internally it'll log you in
using its already cached credentials for the server, so it's a lot less
error prone.

Also, don't use cvs login with sspi unless you absolutely have to.. the
system already has your credentials.