[cvsnt] Re: What is required for server to pickup updated CVSROOTinformatiion.

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Oct 28 13:53:27 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I use modules definitions fro virtual modules that include common
> files below the top module folder (using ampersand modules). Thus I
> have many instances of the same common files in different modules.

And that is the significant difference between our working models. This
simply wouldn't work for us. We need the shared stuff (e.g. Delphi
designtime packages) to be in the same *absolute* position for every
project otherwise we would have to adjust all of the IDE search paths
whenever we switch projects (because as far as the IDE is concerned,
designtime packages are not project-specific).

> So what I asked about is why you state that a virtual module cannot
> be tagged using a regular tag command from teh sandbox?

Of course you can tag a set of files that happen to be defined by a
virtual module. But you cannot tag the virtual module as such using the
regular Tag command. The following would simply be invalid and would
result in an error:

cvs tag [virtual_module_name]

It would be nice to have some kind of middle ground implementation for
tagging operations, similar to the way you could use Checkout also to
perform Update tasks, i.e. a switch to tag exactly the revisions
currently checked out in my sandbox but only do that for the files
belonging to the specified module, maybe simply treat the module as an
additional filter argument, e.g.:

cvs tag -o[module] [tag]

Cheers,

--