[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2132/3 and cvslock problems

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Oct 29 08:09:16 BST 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:25:12 +0200, Thomas Singer <cvsnt at smartcvs.com>
wrote:

>Hi Bo,
>
>Your version could be installed without a problem. Thanks.
>
>Just curious, why aren't all versions maintained and available at cvsnt.org?

Originally (way back) Tony Hoyle used InstallShield for the setups.
Then he switched to InnoSetup, the open source installation system for
Windows, which is also used by WinCvs (and incidentally also by my
companies).
This worked fine for several years, but then at about version 2.0.58,
when CVSNT development transferred to March Hare they changed to using
Windows Installer instead. This was for some corporate conformance
issues apparently.
Since we were several users who did not want to introduce Windows
Installer into this product I volunteered to maintain the original
Innosetup installer on a separate site. But it is not easy to keep up
with changes made by Tony, so slowly the installer is diverging from
the MSI one he makes. So at a point in time Oliver Giesen tried a stab
at the MSI sources to see what was changing and made his own version
with Innosetup that more closely mimics the CVSNT one as regards
shortcut names etc. So now we are two at least doing this.

In any case what I do is that I take the officially released binary
files and then I build them into the installer, the only file I create
myself is the cvs.chm helpfile since it is not part of the binaries
download. But this is always rebuilt from the source I get from the
CVSNT CVS repository, so it is the official version nevertheless.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)