[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2132/3 and cvslock problems

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Oct 31 09:29:48 GMT 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Since we were several users who did not want to introduce Windows
> Installer into this product I volunteered to maintain the original
> Innosetup installer on a separate site. But it is not easy to keep up
> with changes made by Tony, so slowly the installer is diverging from
> the MSI one he makes. So at a point in time Oliver Giesen tried a stab
> at the MSI sources to see what was changing and made his own version
> with Innosetup that more closely mimics the CVSNT one as regards
> shortcut names etc. So now we are two at least doing this.
>
> In any case what I do is that I take the officially released binary
> files and then I build them into the installer, the only file I create
> myself is the cvs.chm helpfile since it is not part of the binaries
> download. But this is always rebuilt from the source I get from the
> CVSNT CVS repository, so it is the official version nevertheless.

Let me add a few things:

My intention had not been (and still isn't) to open up a third branch
of the installer. I'd still prefer merging our efforts. But I guess
this is still a bit problematic because you want to stick with Inno
4.2.7 while I prefer 5.1.x ...

What I do when I build the installer is download the original MSI, the
precompiled binaries and the sysfiles packages. I then run the MSI in
network install mode (msiexec /a %1), which effectively just extracts
the files from the installer. Why this does not actually extract all
files is beyond me but at least I get the original CHM and readmes
which are not contained in any of the other downloads. I then take the
cvs95.exe and uninsthlp.exe from the binaries package and the
MFC71u.dll, msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll and the two secur32 DLLs from the
sysfiles package. No need to compile the helpfile myself that way.

Furthermore, I have by now also added a few things that are not in the
MSI installer, most notably an extra page to choose the location of the
Temp dir (also sets the permissions) and an option to register cvsagent
to run on startup either for all users or only the current user. I also
make sure that a running instance of cvsagent is killed before
installation and I offer to restart it after the installation has
completed.

BTW: Is it just me or is www.cvsnt.org down at the moment (news and CVS
appear to work fine)?

Cheers,