[cvsnt] Re: cvs server: warning: new-born newfile.txt has disappeared

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Sep 15 23:35:12 BST 2005

Daniel Lapolla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We work with the branch per change request policy, but we create the
> branch in the affected files only.
>
> To fetch a change request branch we used to do the following:
>
> 1. cvs update -P -A -d -jbr_cr_12345
>
> 2. in wincvs, select all "red" files and do an cvs update -P -C -r
> br_cr_12345

This is going to miss files.. all you're doing is selecting changed
files in your current tree.

The usual procedure is to always tag and branch entire subtrees, so you
always get exactly what is required for every operation.  Trying to
restrict it to individual files just creates a source of error and
doesn't gain you much if anything.

> Since we upgraded our server to 2.5.01.1976, this procedure does not
> work anymore for files that were initially added to the branch.

So you added a new file, then merged a branch where the file does not
exist?  It's doing exactly what I'd expect..