[cvsnt] Re: cvs server: warning: new-born newfile.txt has disappeared

Daniel Lapolla ldlapolla at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 13:29:57 BST 2005

Hello Tony, see my replies below...

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Daniel Lapolla wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We work with the branch per change request policy, but we create the
>> branch in the affected files only.
>>
>> To fetch a change request branch we used to do the following:
>>
>> 1. cvs update -P -A -d -jbr_cr_12345
>>
>> 2. in wincvs, select all "red" files and do an cvs update -P -C -r
>> br_cr_12345
>

> This is going to miss files.. all you're doing is selecting changed
> files in your current tree.

I'm selecting and switching them to the branch.

The changed files are changed because they are in the branch, so the
fact that they are changed can be seen as a hint that that file has
revisions in the branch I'm trying to retrieve.

I do not understand the reason why newfile.txt disappears, since it is
there, in the branch I'm updating to.

> The usual procedure is to always tag and branch entire subtrees, so you
> always get exactly what is required for every operation.  Trying to
> restrict it to individual files just creates a source of error and
> doesn't gain you much if anything.

I agree, but could you imagine the mess in the rcs files when you create
10-20 repository/tree-wide branches per day? It would render any
graphing tool useless. And also, it would take a little time to tag
15.000+ files for each change request.

We've been working this way (branch only what needs to be changed) for
several months and, for us it works very well...

>> Since we upgraded our server to 2.5.01.1976, this procedure does not
>> work anymore for files that were initially added to the branch.
>

> So you added a new file, then merged a branch where the file does not
> exist?  It's doing exactly what I'd expect..

I added a new file directly into a branch, and now I want to retrieve
it. It does not exist in the trunk, but it is there in the branch. When
I try to update it to the branch, it disappears.

One the things I like (or may be used to like) in CVSNT is the
ability/easiness to create mixed working copies, with 2 or three
branches for example. It seems that this ability (or at least the
easines) has gone (at least for the files that only exist in the branch).