[cvsnt] Re: MSI installer does not work from subst:ed drives

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Sep 19 23:07:50 BST 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:29:35 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> It turns out that the reason it fails is that my F: drive is a subst
>> drive physically located on my C: drive. I have had to do this when I
>> got my new PC because I don't have extra physical drives anymore and I
>> have a lot of files that were located on F: in my old PC and have ini
>> settings etc thta point there. So I subst:ed the backed up tree from
>> C:\DATA\F to F:.
>
>MSI doesn't work on subst drives.. it's because they're local to your
>user and the msi service runs under LocalSystem (for this reason I
>expect cvsnt wouldn't work on subst drives either).

I figured as much. MSI installer uses some kind of Windows service to
do its actual install, right? Then the first part collecting data is
OK from the msi file started by the user, but then some info is passed
to the Windows Installer Service and it needs the file as well, but
can't find it...

And of course I could not put my repo on this drive either, it moved
to C:\DATA when I switched PC...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)