[cvsnt] Re: MSI installer does not work from subst:ed drives

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Sep 19 23:34:25 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I figured as much. MSI installer uses some kind of Windows service to
> do its actual install, right? Then the first part collecting data is
> OK from the msi file started by the user, but then some info is passed
> to the Windows Installer Service and it needs the file as well, but
> can't find it...

Yes.  In theory this means that you don't need admin privs to install
things.. but I'm not aware of any admin silly enough to actually enable
this (since it would create a trivial backdoor.. anyone with a copy of
wix could grant themselves administrator rights).

> And of course I could not put my repo on this drive either, it moved
> to C:\DATA when I switched PC...

In theory I suspect you could do it, but it'd be a horrid hack - make
something that logs in as LocalSystem and did the subst on bootup.

btw. you can't share subst drives on XP for the same reason.