[cvsnt] SSPI protocol and password changes

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Sep 28 17:03:59 BST 2005

Mike Wake wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>  > You don't use cvs login with sspi, since it stores your password in the
>  > registry.  sspi will normally use your windows credentials (and be more
>  > secure in the process).
>
> What if you using sspi while logged into one domain, and wish to access
> a CVSNT repository running on linux server that is using winbind and
> samba for authentication from another domain?
>
> I have found that you have to do a cvs login including your username  then.

Not really, although that's where login is sometimes useful.

If you access the linux server eg. by mapping a network share, then
Windows will cache your credentials internally.

The same is true of cross-domain/out of domain stuff.. if Windows can
access it, then sspi can.

It depends on your work habits - if you access the server/domain
regularly windows is very likely to know how to authenticate with it
anyway, so cvs login is unnecessary in that case.

If you're completely outside (eg. on a VPN with no share access) then
login is used.