[cvsnt] Re: UTF-8Y header added when checking in

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Apr 16 00:22:32 BST 2006

Tobias Rodenbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I suspect  CVSNT to add an UTHF-8Y header (Sequence 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF at
> the beginning of the file content)  to files that I check in. I
> observed the header a few times before on checked out files and
> thought my editor added it som time before I checked in. However, here
> is what I experienced today:

It's actually quite hard (probably impossible) to do this by accident.

That can happen if you do something like -k{utf8} when adding the file,
or if the file is a Unicode file (-ku) and subsequently try to check it
out as text (it can happen with other encodings too, but the common
element is forcing a unicode translation on checkin).

If youre editing a unicode file the editor should be able to handle the
header as all utf8 files are likely to have it (eg. notepad adds it if
you save as utf8).  Similarly all ucs2 files have FF FE or FE FF on the
front.

It's also possible your editor or some other software is adding the header.