[cvsnt] Re: Reg: htpasswd command not found

Andreas Tscharner andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
Mon Apr 24 12:52:01 BST 2006

Dhanasekar wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

>  I have installed CVSNT in Linux AS3 and Configured.When i try to create cvs
> users using htpasswd it showing htpasswd command not found. Here i am
> displaying how i install and configured cvsnt. Kindly help on this.
>

> Installation of CVSNT on LINUX
>

> 1. Download the latest CVS (cvsnt-2.0.18.tar.gz) from <http://www.cvsnt.org>

Which is not the latest CVSNT at all. The current version is
cvsnt-2.5.03.2260.tar.gz

> 2. Untar it using command
>
> 	tar -zxf cvsnt-2.0.41a.tar.gz
>
> 3. Then browse into the directory cvsnt-2.0.41a. (using command => cd
> cvsnt-2.0.41a)
>
> 4. Then install using the following commands
>
> a)	. /configure
> b)	make
> c)	make install

I hope you are root doing this...

> 5. Then create a file called “cvspserver” under the directory /etc/xinetd.d/
>
>            Type the following contents in “cvspserver” file
>
> service cvspserver
> {
>         disable = no
>    port        = 2401
>    socket_type = stream
>    protocol    = tcp
>    wait        = no
>    user        = root
>    passenv     = PATH
>    server      = /usr/local/bin/cvs
>    server_args = -f --allow-root=/cvs/sample pserver
> }
>
> Then restart the xinetd service
>
> 6. Create user called sample
> 	useradd sample
>

> 7. Create a directory called “/cvs” under root directory
>
> 8. Create repository for each project by executing following command
>
>     for sample
> 	cvs -d  /cvs/sample  init
>
> 	chown -R sample:sample sample

Did you configure /etc/cvsnt/PServer and /etc/cvsnt/Plugins (I'm not
sure if they exist in version 2.0.18 or 2.0.41a, but they do in 2.5.03)?

> 9. Create cvs users for each project by executing the following command
>

> 1st User:
>                    htpasswd -c passwd sample
>
> 2nd User:
> 	     htpasswd passwd sample1

As Bo already stated, htpasswd is not part of the cvsnt installation.
htpasswd is -- depending on your distribution -- almost always in the
apache package. There are also several locations in the Internet where
you can download it.

Although your method to create a new user may work, I suggest you create
the new user as Bo described it in the other post.

Best regards
	Andreas
Andreas Tscharner                          andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch