[cvsnt] Upgrade to 2.5.03.2260 Questions

RBuchholz at Chamberlain.com RBuchholz at Chamberlain.com
Wed Apr 26 18:40:52 BST 2006

Hi Tony and all-

Current cvsnt version is 2.0.58d.
We are in process of updating our GUIs and will be installing 2.5.03.2260
very shortly.

Current server OS is Linux RHEL 3.0

I've done some reading in the archive looking for Linux, RHEL, and
2.5.03.2260 related content, but I am left with the following questions.
Most should be simple one word answers. ;*)

Q1: Since I am on a Linux box, using rpms, is it necessary/recommended to
uninstall the previous version of cvsnt before updating?
Q2: The tech specs link on the March-Hare site states that for Linux, the
OS should be RHEL v4, update 1.  The file downloaded for a Linux OS has a
"rh9" embedded in the title.  Does this imply that this package will run
on RH9 and RHEL4? And more importantly for my site, is running .2260
supported on a RHEL3 server?
Q3: One thread of concern
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2006-March/024430.html  discussed the
inability to commit binary files after the upgrade on a RHEL3 box. I did
not find any resolution posted. Is this a known/understood issue? Does
this only involve installations using the auditing feature?
Q4: Must the database/auditing feature be enabled in order to use
2.5.03.2260? If no, are there any caveats in setting up such an
installation?
Q5: If it is not used at the start, can I enable the auditing capability
at some later date?
Q6: Is there a procedure documented somewhere on how to get the auditing
feature running and using it? I am aware of this link:
http://march-hare.com/cvsnt/features/audit/ and Bo's link at
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/CVSNTAuditing.html . Bo's docs are
primarily for Win and SQLite installations - Is there anything else out
there?
Q7: Is postgresql supported (if so, any specific version)?
Q8: Is there a bug list for version .2260 that I can refer to in order to
gauge what my users and I will need to live with for a while? I don't want
to log anything new, I just want to see what others have found, and
determine work-around strategies (even if it's "don't do this") before the
upgrade.
Q9: As far as reference manuals, is the focus for documentation to shift
users towards the e-book? Does the e-book have greater content for setting
up and using the new features within cvsnt, or is it more of a
methodology/philosophy of version control (as it relates to cvsnt)? The
cost of the book is not excessive, and would easily be worth it if it
contains more info than the reference manual.
Q10: It appears that there are implementation differences for some of the
CVSROOT/ files (commitinfo, etc.). Are there any other files that need to
be adjusted when transitioning between the 2 versions? Ie.,
/etc/cvsnt/Pserver, /etc/xinetd.d/cvs, etc.
Q11: Does a cvs init command need to be run on the repositories in order
to "update" anything? If this command is needed, and it is executed, does
this prevent going back to 2.0.58d if necessary?

Thank you for any information that can be supplied, and thank you for your
efforts with this application. It is appreciated.

ronb