[cvsnt] Performance problem with pserver protocol

martingoros at datafull.com martingoros at datafull.com
Fri Apr 28 22:09:10 BST 2006

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I installed a CVSNT server (2.5.03 build 2151) on a
Win XP SP2 machine and configured it for using pserver (I had already done
this several times without any problem with older CVSNT versions). But now
we are having serious performance issues with the pserver users as, for
example, a simple project checkout can take nearly 10 minutes (when it only
takes less than 30 seconds with the CVSNT Admin user that doesn't use
pserver). The network performance is not very good and the CVSNT server is
installed in a loaded machine which is also used for everyday work (has
Eclipse, Tomcat, an antivirus, etc). I disabled everything but the
antivirus (I'm not allowed) and the problem continues.

I looked at pserver alternatives and sspi and sserver appeared at me. It
looks like sserver is pretty similar, but may it have better performance???
if not, whick protocol do you think can give me the best performance???.
I'm not interested in accessing the repository from outside the local
network, but it would be good for me not to tie CVS users to NT ones.

I hope someone can give me a hint on this and help me.

Thanks in advanced,

Martin G