[cvsnt] Re: Performance problem with pserver protocol

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Sat Apr 29 17:42:10 BST 2006

>Win XP SP2 machine and configured it for using pserver (I had already done

Microsoft's client operating system are configured to give much more
"attention" to foreground applications and much less to background tasks
(i.e. services...).

If the machine is used for other intensive foreground tasks - and any Java
app is one, even some screen savers - the time the OS allows for background
tasks may be much less.

A client OS may be modified to work much alike a server one, modifying the
registry - but I would not recommend it, and it will slow down foreground
tasks.

A separate machine, even an older one, with a Windows server OS - if the
license price is not an issue - or a Linux OS is IMHO a far better solution.

We treat our source code as our most valuable asset, and manage it
consequently.

--
Luigi D. Sandon