[cvsnt] cvs commit -r gone?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Wed Aug 2 22:13:37 BST 2006

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 13:54:02 -0400, Chuck Kirschman
<Chuck.Kirschman at Nosp_am.bentley.com> wrote:

>I just updated to cvsNT 2.5.3.2382, and a command we used to use has
>stopped working.
>
>	cvs commit -r BRANCH_1_1 foo.c
>
>Apparently the -r option is no longer available in the commit command.
>  How do I do the equivalent commit a file to the tip of a branch in the
>newest versions?

The normal procedure for working on a branch is:

1) Update the module to the branch:
  cvs update -r BRANCH_1_1

2) Edit the file(s) you need to change

3) Commit the canges:
  cvs commit -m "some log messsage"

Now the edits are going to the tip of the branch.

Why do you think that you need to specify the branch to send the edit
to in the first place? Step 1 above can also be applied to single
files if you like and the following commands are still the same....

/Bo Berglund