[cvsnt] i still have merging problem

Pang Fion fion_214 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 10:35:45 BST 2006

Although I have read the guideline for merging and follow the instruction
but I still can¡¦t get the expected result. This time I wont merge any
binary file, but the result still same as the before.  I explain to you
about my case.

1. I create a document using notepad called ¡§Hello¡¨, after I commit the
doc and this doc is version
   1.1.

2. After that, I make the changes in that doc and commit it. The revision
number becomes version
    1.2.

3. Third, I create a branch in the version 1.1. This branch is called
¡§Testing¡¨.

4. And then I make the changes in doc and commit it, this version 1.1.2.1 is
under the ¡§Testing¡¨
    branch.

5. I want to merge the branch to the main trunk.
6. I right click the mouse and select CVS „³Update Special. In the update
dialog, I select ¡§Head¡¨ to
    move my local copy back to the main trunk.

7. Now I right click the mouse and select CVS „³Merge. In the merge dialog I
fill up
    the ¡§1.2¡¨ in the start combo box and fill up ¡§1.1.2.1¡¨ in the end
combo box.

8. And then I click ¡§OK¡¨ button.

9. In the folder, it appears one more doc which is version 1.2, but this
version 1.2 with ignore icon
    overlay.

10. After that, I right-click the mouse select CVS „³ CVS Commit

11. The doc become version 1.3, but the result same as the version 1.1.2.1.

I don¡¦t know where the problem is. So can you point me out where is the
problem?