[cvsnt] Replacement for 'commit -r 2.0'?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 11:17:20 BST 2006

On 8/12/06, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at system3r.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:46:56 +0800, "Yongwei Wu" <wuyongwei at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So CVSNT is breaking compatibility with CVS now? This is quite
> >surprising. What if a CVS client does this operation while the server
> >is CVSNT?
>
> There will be an error...
>

> >BTW, that CVS feature looks useful to me. In my current attempt, I am
> >not to increase the version number to 2.0, but to make it the same as
>
> Please realize the HUGE difference between *version* and *revision*!
> You are talking about file versions but referring to file revisions
> even though they are completely different animals.
>
> >the same file in another repository. I know nothing of the roadmap of
>
> Why have the same file in two places? then thery sure are not the
> same. It makes much more sense to use exactly the same file in both
> projects and then the problem you think you have will be gone...

The official repository is on the Internet, but I want to have a local
repository for safety and in case I must work offline. OK?

> >CVSNT, but at least $Version$ shows useful version information visible
> >to the user, which the user might want to adjust in certain
> >circumstances.
[snipped]

Sorry I should have said '$Revision' instead of '$Version'. However,
please do not try to teach me how I should use CVS. For one reason or
another, people may want to use it, maybe for trivial reasons. I would
not lie in bed sleepless because CVSNT removed this feature. However,
I do want it. Writing 100 paragraphs about it would not change that.

Maybe it is good behaviour not to use this CVS feature. I simply fail
to see why it should be removed. Removing any existing features is a
crime to existing users. Not to mention that even the CVSNT manual
still has examples using this feature and still documents the [-r
revision] syntax!

Best regards,

Yongwei
--