[cvsnt] Replacement for 'commit -r 2.0'?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Aug 12 12:03:53 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:
> The official repository is on the Internet, but I want to have a local
> repository for safety and in case I must work offline. OK?

If you want to mirror a repository then fine but what has that got to do with
the revision number?

If you work offline you must ensure that no work is done on the main
repository then sync back.  Revision numbers can't help there.

> Maybe it is good behaviour not to use this CVS feature. I simply fail
> to see why it should be removed. Removing any existing features is a

Because it has no legitimate use, encourages the misconception that revision
numbers are somehow significant, and could potentially corrupt the repository.

It was *never* a useful feature.  Bo is correct.  You shouldn't be using
revision numbers for something that tags and branches are designed for.