[cvsnt] Unicode support?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Aug 23 12:46:31 BST 2006

Yongwei Wu wrote:

>>> Yes, because you asked it to... that's what -ku means.
>>>
>>> If you don't want utf-16 then don't specify -ku.
>>
>> Oh... sorry :) I didn't RTFM.
>>
>> In this case my question is... it seems cvsnt doesn't support utf-8 then,
>> right? utf-8 files should thus be added as binary, and won't get merged. Is
>> this correct?
>
> Why not just adding it as plain text? UTF-8 is designed to work like
> normal text files.

I don't know what you call "normal text files", but with utf-8, a single
character can be anywhere from one to four bytes. If with "normal text
files" you mean single-byte ASCII, this doesn't work well. It works only as
long as you use exclusively ASCII characters, because in this case, the
byte encoding is in fact identical.

What I'd like to know is whether cvsnt is designed to work with files
encoded in utf-8 added as normal text files (-kt) -- for merging, for
example.

Gerhard