[cvsnt] Unicode support?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:50:52 BST 2006

On 8/23/06, Gerhard Fiedler <lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

> >> Oh... sorry :) I didn't RTFM.
> >>
> >> In this case my question is... it seems cvsnt doesn't support utf-8 then,
> >> right? utf-8 files should thus be added as binary, and won't get merged. Is
> >> this correct?
> >
> > Why not just adding it as plain text? UTF-8 is designed to work like
> > normal text files.
>
> I don't know what you call "normal text files", but with utf-8, a single
> character can be anywhere from one to four bytes. If with "normal text
> files" you mean single-byte ASCII, this doesn't work well. It works only as
> long as you use exclusively ASCII characters, because in this case, the
> byte encoding is in fact identical.
>
> What I'd like to know is whether cvsnt is designed to work with files
> encoded in utf-8 added as normal text files (-kt) -- for merging, for
> example.
>
> Gerhard

It may be the case that CVSNT is not *designed* for multi-byte
characters, but I do not feel any problems about it. I have stored
Chinese (double-byte characters) in CVS for years, and do not know of
any problems.

Hint: Merging is line based; and control characters and 0x24 (`$')
never appears in multi-byte character sequences.

Yongwei
--
Wu Yongwei