[cvsnt] bug: -kB binary delta with branch cause error

Winston Feng tifish at 163.com
Thu Aug 31 07:51:30 BST 2006

CVSNT version: 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382
The CVSNT server is on Linux, while the client is on Windows XP.

The attachment has 3 files:
  a2.ico
  a2.1.ico
  step.bat

Content of the step.bat:
  copy a2.ico a.ico
  cvs add -kB a.ico
  cvs ci -m "" a.ico
  cvs tag -b branch a.ico
  cvs up -r branch a.ico
  copy /y a2.1.ico a.ico
  cvs ci -m "" a.ico

When I run the step.bat, I get:

Checking in a.ico;
/data/v6/Coding/a.ico,v  <--  a.ico
cvs commit: warning: unrecognized response `cvsnt: cvsdelta.cpp:411: bool cvsdel
ta::diff(const ByteArray&, const ByteArray&, ByteArray&): Assertion `((c1->base-
matched_minus)-&data_buffer[0])<data_buffer.size()' failed.' from cvs server
cvs [commit aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

This bug only occur on Linux server. CVSNT server on Windows works fine.

Also we have some other files with flag -kB, on which we get error when
update to old version:
  cvs [checkout aborted]: Binary patch failed
The files are too big to be sent here.

In my experence with cvsnt, it seems binary delta is not as stable as
the traditional text delta.

Binary delta is good. I've thought about why it isn't the default option
in TortoiseCVS. But it should be more stable before it become the
standard.

Regards,

Winston Feng