[cvsnt] CVS reported error: cannot rename file (Not AV problem)

news.cvsnt.org arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Dec 4 20:50:12 GMT 2006

Andy,

> Any chance you can add a separate spindle or set of spindles
> for CVS temp if you haven't already?

I don't think it's related to temp - it's the repository disk:

> Unable to rename file /MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h, to /MyRepo/MyDir/File.h,v for
> 1 second, still trying...

On windows this is handled by the Windows API MoveFile() to ensure that it
happens as quickly and efficiently as possible.  If that is failing then it
is a very low level error - most likely something wrong with the disk
driver, or something like AntiVirus which sits in the IFS stack and can
"interrupt" calls between the Win32 API and the driver level APIs.  I know
you said AntiVirus is not installed, I'm suggesting it is something "like"
anti virus - or the disk driver itself.

I assume that the disk which /MyRepo is on is a local disk and a high speed
drive?

You can write a little program that does some load testing to exhibit the
problem:
While (1)
res=CopyFile("/MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h,v",/MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h,");
if (res==err) exit(1);
res=MoveFile("/MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h,",/MyRepo/MyDir/,File.h,v");
if (res==err) exit(1);
EndWhile

Once you can reproduce it maybe your vendor will fix the problem or you can
buy a different drive?

Also you haven't told us much about your environment - what is your CVSROOT?
Are you using pserver or sspi? Have you ran cvsdiag on the server?

Regards,

Arthur