[cvsnt] Broken behaviour with cvs export in recent builds...

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Feb 1 13:41:39 GMT 2006

After upgrading our CVSNT server to version 2.5.03.2221 we have
experienced a strange new problem!

We use a setup build system based on batch files committed to cvs. To
create a working setup we check out and execute a starting batch file.
This then cvs exports all the needed files to the build tree including
the InnoSetup compiler and then builds our setup.

This has been working well for years but now after upgrading the server
it is no longer working. :-(

What happens is this:
C:\>cvs export -r HEAD -d FanucSrv/Drivers/DriverLinx
Common/Drivers/DriverLinx
cvs export: cannot chdir to FanucSrv: No such file or directory
cvs export: ignoring module Common/Drivers/DriverLinx

By testing we have found that the following command works, but of course
it deposits the files in the completely wrong place:
C:\3RSetups>cvs export -r HEAD -d FanucSrv Common/Drivers/DriverLinx
cvs export: Updating FanucSrv
U FanucSrv/DLPORTIO.dll
U FanucSrv/DLPORTIO.sys
U FanucSrv/DLPortIO.pdf
U FanucSrv/Install.exe
U FanucSrv/Install.txt

What happens now is that the files are all deposited into the base
folder FanucSrv, and this is *not* what we want!

So cvs export -d <path specifier> <module specifier>
no longer works when <path specifier> is a composite path to a
subdirectory.

I have checked this behaviour using build 2207 (server and client),
2207/2221 (client/server) and 2.0.41/2221 (client/server).
Thery all behave the same, so this MUST be a server issue even though
the problem apparently happens on the client side (not being able to
create the folder tree anymore).

I also went as far as creating the needed export folder tree manually
before issuing the cvs export command, but to no avail. Same error!!!!

Best regards,

Bo Berglund