[cvsnt] Re: performance problems

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed Feb 1 17:17:48 GMT 2006

> From: [...] bwhicks at aep.com
> I notice the AV exe not shooting to the top of the
> proclist in task manager when I'm doing checkouts, but not much else
> changes.

I'm probably teaching grandmother to suck eggs here...

Brian, is there any chance you could monitor the following on server and
client and post the results?  It might help us figure out what's the
limiting factor.

On the Windows client:
- Processor / %user time, %system time, %interrupt time, %DPC time
- Memory / pages/sec
- Physical Disk / Avg. Disk Queue Length and Transfers/sec
- Network / Bytes/sec

On the UNIX server, use your weapon of choice to try to get similar
stats.  I tend to use vmstat, but I'm a poor sad person who's stuck in
the mid-1990s with UNIX systems in general.  I've no doubt there are
better approaches.

Basically, I'm interested to see whether the server or the client is the
choke point; and which of the major subsystems is choking it.  If
everything looks OK here, then something's waiting for service for some
reason.

		- Peter