[cvsnt] Trouble connecting to repository after network changes

Mike Jacobs mike.jacobs at indietechnologies.com
Wed Feb 1 22:41:21 GMT 2006

Sorry for the length of this e-mail.  CVSNT was
working for me prior to upgrading my internet
connection.  Now I cannot get a connection to the
repository at all.  I could use some advice to isolate
and correct the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Jacobs

I had CVSNT 2.5.01.1927 working with Eclipse 3.0.2
running on Windows XP for Home.  I am the only
developer, so there is no need for a networked
repository.  My Windows XP account is an administrator
and has no password.  The computer was on an isolated
home network with a fixed IP.  I used a fixed IP as
the host within Eclipse and pserver to connect to the
CVSNT repository.  I resorted to using a fixed IP
because I was never able to get localhost or even
127.0.0.1 to work as a host.  I ran McAffee anti-virus
and had no firewall (dial up was used). This worked
great.

I have just upgraded to a broadband connection with a
new router.  The internet connection works fine, and
naturally the TCP/IP configuration has eliminated the
fixed IP (although the router has assigned one so I
don't know if this is relevant).  A firewall is
running on my computer and a different anti-virus
program is installed (Charter High-Speed Security
Suite).  I have also installed all fixes suggested by
the Microsoft Update utility.

Now I cannot make a connection to my repository at
all.  Eclipse returns an error "Socket Exception:
Connection reset", and a command line attempt to login
results in cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from
server localhost: -1: Unknown error.

Because I suspected I might get better assistance if I
had the latest version CVSNT, I installed CVSNT 2.5.03
(Scorpio) Build 2151.  I have made numerous attempts
using localhost, 127.0.0.1, the assigned IP, the
computer name with the same results.  I have disabled
the anti-virus program and shutdown the firewall with
no effect.  I have verfied that CVSNT starts (via the
control panel) and can see the TCP ports listening on
2401 and 2402 via netstat -a.  I have reviewed the
firewall action log and it appears the request leaves
and then returns (when using the computer name or
assigned IP).

I have resorted to starting with a new repository to
see if my current one is somehow corrupt.  I still
cannot verify the connection.  What am I missing?
Here are the steps that recreate the problem for me:

1. Create a new directory c:\cvsnttest\respository
2. Open a command prompt:
C:\>set cvsroot=c:\cvsnttest\repository
C:\>cvs init
cvs init: Repository c:\cvsnttest\repository
initialised
C:\>cvs info pserver
Name:               pserver
Version:            pserver 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build
2151
Syntax:
:pserver[;keyword=value...]:[username[:password]@]host[:port][:]/path
  Username:         Optional
  Password:         Optional
  Hostname:         Required
  Port:             Optional
Client:             Yes
Server:             Yes
Login:              Yes
Encryption:         No
Impersonation:      CVS Builtin

[keywords deleted for brevity]

C:\>set
cvsroot=:pserver:localhost:c:\cvsnttest\repository

C:\>cvs login
Logging in to
:pserver:Mike at localhost:2401:c:\cvsnttest\repository
CVS Password: [I press Enter here because I have no
password]
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server
localhost: -1: Unknown error

Similar results when the host is 127.0.0.1, the
assigned IP, and the computer name.