[cvsnt] Trouble connecting to repository after network changes

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Thu Feb 2 02:28:26 GMT 2006

Ouch.  For now, though, let's assume the system hasn't been compromised
in any fashion that would interfere with CVSNT.

> The computer was on an isolated
> home network with a fixed IP.  I used a fixed IP as
> the host within Eclipse and pserver to connect to the
> CVSNT repository.  I resorted to using a fixed IP
> because I was never able to get localhost or even
> 127.0.0.1 to work as a host.

Then you had *something* configured incorrectly, though I couldn't begin
to guess what without more information.

> I have just upgraded to a broadband connection with a
> new router.  The internet connection works fine, and
> naturally the TCP/IP configuration has eliminated the
> fixed IP (although the router has assigned one so I
> don't know if this is relevant).

Fixed or transient address shouldn't matter if the stack is configured
correctly, provided you're using name resolution and not a  transient IP
address when you tell the CVS client where to connect.

> A firewall is
> running on my computer and a different anti-virus
> program is installed (Charter High-Speed Security
> Suite).

We can disregard the AV program, if it's actually an AV program and not
some sort of hybrid that includes firewalling features as well.

> Now I cannot make a connection to my repository at
> all.  Eclipse returns an error "Socket Exception:
> Connection reset", and a command line attempt to login
> results in cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from
> server localhost: -1: Unknown error.

Well, the fact that it says "localhost" is a good sign - it doesn't
appear that your CVSROOT is pointing to an IP address.

Does "ping localhost" succeed?  Does it show 127.0.0.1 as the address it
resolves localhost to?

"Connection reset" means that the client received a TCP packet from the
server with the RST (Reset) flag set.  This can happen during connection
handshaking or after the conversation has been established.  It's TCP's
generic "abortive close" mechanism, so the fact that you received one
doesn't in itself tell us much.

The most common cause of an RST is trying to connect to a port for which
there is no socket in LISTEN state.  In the case of CVSNT, this would
typically mean that either or both servers (the CVS server and the lock
server) isn't actually running, or that the client is trying the wrong
port.  (Actually, now that I think about this, only the server should be
trying to contact the lockserver, so the client wouldn't see an RST from
the lockserver.)

Normally, I'd ask whether you've checked that the servers are running
and have you check netstat to verify that there are listening sockets,
but I see you've done that already.  I also see that you've supplied
your CVSROOT string, and that looks normal.

Another common cause of RSTs is an application exiting abnormally while
it has a conversation open.  I'd check the Windows Event Logs to see if
the service is crashing and restarting.

> I have disabled
> the anti-virus program and shutdown the firewall with
> no effect.

Have you checked whether the Windows Firewall is enabled?  (I recommend
using the Network Connections control panel, not Windows Security
Center, for this; look at the properties of your various network
connections.)

To be honest, if I were in this situation, I'd trace the flows with a
packet sniffer like Ethereal (note that Windows doesn't permit tracing
the loopback connection, so you'd need a separate machine for this) or a
tracing TCP tunnel like the Java TcpTunnel applet, to see just what's
going on the wire.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus