[cvsnt] Trouble connecting to repository after network changes

Mike Jacobs mike.jacobs at indietechnologies.com
Thu Feb 2 13:33:23 GMT 2006

>We can disregard the AV program, if it's actually an AV program and not
>some sort of hybrid that includes firewalling features as well.

It's a suite of functions from my ISP but appears to supplied by F-Secure
(one of the anti-virus makers).  It does include traffic
monitoring/blocking,
web filtering, and a firewall.  I cannot tell if it is a hybrid or not.  I
will look
into whether or not the suite is a packaging of separate programs or if it
is
a hybrid.

>Does "ping localhost" succeed?  Does it show 127.0.0.1 as the address it
>resolves localhost to?
Yes
C:\>ping localhost

Pinging homeoffice [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

>Normally, I'd ask whether you've checked that the servers are running
>and have you check netstat ...
The results of netstat include a local and foreign address.  The local
address
includes a port, while the foreign has a port of 0 (most of the listening
sockets
appear that way).  Is this significant?  For example (many others removed):
Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
TCP    homeoffice:2401        homeoffice:0           LISTENING

>I'd check the Windows Event Logs to see if
>the service is crashing and restarting.
I will look into this.

>Have you checked whether the Windows Firewall is enabled?
The network connection does not have the firewall enabled (Advanced tab
on the connection properties).

>To be honest, if I were in this situation, I'd trace the flows with a
>packet sniffer like Ethereal (note that Windows doesn't permit tracing
>the loopback connection, so you'd need a separate machine for this) or a
>tracing TCP tunnel like the Java TcpTunnel applet, to see just what's
>going on the wire.

I will look into this.

Thank you.