[cvsnt] Re: Migrating to new hardware

Marcel Stör marcel at frightanic.com
Sun Feb 5 14:00:54 GMT 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:50:49 +0100, "Marcel Stör"
> <marcel at frightanic.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're considering to move our CVS to a new server. Two questions are
>> currently bugging us:
>>
>> - can we expect to gain a performance boost if using a server with
>> multiple CPUs?
>
> I think I remember that Tony has stated that CVSNT does not benefit
> for dual processors. OTOH I have a test server with a dual core
> Pentium processor, which mostly appears as a dual CPU. It works well

...which means that we might give it a shot.

> even though I have no clue to how one can determine "performance"...

Well, I look at it pragmatically: would a dual-CPU based CVSNT server be
able to process more requests/operations than the same system with a single
CPU? Your answer suggest "yes, it would".

>> - are there any traps we should be aware of if we move the CVS
>> directory from the old server (i.e. disk/file system) to the new one?
>
> If the new server is going to run the same operating system (W2000
> Server for example) I see no problem at all. You can even put the new
> server into DNS under the same name as the old one and the users won't
> notice a difference.

We would either go from W2K Server to W2K Server or - if possible??? - to
W2300 Server.

>> Thanks for your kind help or links to documents that address our
>> questions.
> For installing/configuring CVSNT on Win 2003 Server:
> http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html
>
> For enabling CVSNT Auditing:
> http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/CVSNTAuditing.html

Thanks for the hints.