[cvsnt] Re: Migrating to new hardware

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Feb 5 11:40:45 GMT 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:50:49 +0100, "Marcel Stör"
<marcel at frightanic.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We're considering to move our CVS to a new server. Two questions are
>currently bugging us:
>
>- can we expect to gain a performance boost if using a server with multiple
>CPUs?

I think I remember that Tony has stated that CVSNT does not benefit
for dual processors. OTOH I have a test server with a dual core
Pentium processor, which mostly appears as a dual CPU. It works well
even though I have no clue to how one can determine "performance"...

>- are there any traps we should be aware of if we move the CVS directory
>from the old server (i.e. disk/file system) to the new one?

If the new server is going to run the same operating system (W2000
Server for example) I see no problem at all. You can even put the new
server into DNS under the same name as the old one and the users won't
notice a difference.

>Thanks for your kind help or links to documents that address our questions.
For installing/configuring CVSNT on Win 2003 Server:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html

For enabling CVSNT Auditing:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/CVSNTAuditing.html

/Bo