[cvsnt] Re: Repository TAG behavior

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Feb 7 17:49:21 GMT 2006

This is my suspicion too, based on the behavior we're seeing.  We've
seen tagging conflicts when tagging modules (with rtag), tagging all the
files in a directory (with tag and a directory argument), and tagging
specific files in a directory (with tag and filename arguments).  And
some of those conflicts were for unrelated files.

It appears to be a lockserver bug (or a rather subtle feature of some
sort), but as I said, I didn't see anything obvious when I traced the
lockserver traffic in some local testing, or when I looked at the
lockserver source.  "cvs tag" locks individual files while it tags them,
and the lockserver appears to be comparing the entire lock-target string
when checking for conflicts.

I may have to reproduce this artificially in a debug environment to find
out what's going on.  That will probably take a while, as I haven't
tried to build CVSNT from source yet, and then I'll have to try to find
a case where I can consistently reproduce it on my own server.

--
Michael Wojcik                  Software Systems Developer, Comms
phone 517 676-0892              Micro Focus