[cvsnt] Re: performance problems

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Tue Feb 7 20:52:11 GMT 2006

It's been a while, so I'm going to leave the thread history here:

cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org wrote on 02/01/2006 01:14:41 PM:

> bwhicks at aep.com wrote:
> > Actually, I tried it with antivirus both on and off and it doesn't
change
> > the performance at all.

- snip -

> Depends on the AV, but some don't actually
> stop scanning until you uninstall them.

- snip -

> A good test if you have the time is to get a fresh load of Win without
> any apps and install only CVSNT and try it there.  In my experience, AV
> takes a LOT of process power.  Fresh loaded Windows runs TONS faster
> than one with AV loaded.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Glen Starrett

I got a clean install of windows in a lab environment (which is why it took
so long to reply) and even without antivirus installed at all, cvsnt still
takes 5 times longer to do a checkout of a particular module on windows
than it does on linux. I even installed the same exact cvsnt client version
(instead of the one that comes with tortoise). What else could make the
checkout so much slower on windows than on linux?

Thanks...

Brian

p.s. in case anyone needs it, I'm running cvsnt2.5.02.2099 on a redhat
ES3.6 server and various client platforms but the same version of cvsnt.