[cvsnt] Question about the xdiff option

David Planella david.planella at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:31:50 GMT 2006

Hi,

After reading about the xdiff command in the manual, it is not clear to
me what its capabilities are or how the external diff tool can be
defined in the cvswrappers file.

I'm running cvsnt on Windows and although I use WinCvs for version
control, I sometimes invoke cvs from the IDE I'm using at work. This IDE
is called Keil uVision3, and it allows development of C/C++ projects for
embedded microprocessors. The user interface is similar (so similar I'd
say is based on it) to the Visual C IDE of MS Visual Studio 6. Anyway,
the thing is that it allows me to run commands by invoking cvs from
within the IDE and see its output on a small output console. I'm not
using that for managing projects, merging or branching (for that I've
got WinCvs), but rather as a quick way of commiting single files,
checking its status, doing updates, etc.

The point is, that I've read about this xdiff feature, and the way I
understood its functionality, it would allow me to call an external diff
program -with graphical user interface, for example. Therefore, the next
thing I tried was to set up the cvswrappers file to point to kdiff3.exe,
the graphical diff tool I'm using for examining diffs in a more visual
way, but with no success. The syntax to add a reference to kdiff3 in
cvswrappers is not very clear to me... Therefore, my questions are:

1) Is it possible to get the xdiff command to use a graphical external
diff program?

2) If so, what is the syntax to specify the external diff tool in
cvswrappers in Windows (Let's say the xdiff tool is C:\Programs
\kdiff3.exe)?

Thanks.