[cvsnt] Help with "unrecognized auth response"

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Feb 13 21:29:17 GMT 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:02:56 -0300, Eugenio Lysei Junior
<lyseie at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Bo, thanks for responding.
>
>I've read your doc entirely, and did what it says. Excuse me if I ask dumb
>questions, but problem persists.
>I intend to use CVSNT to work with one CVS client inside firewall, and two
>CVS clients outside (running TortoiseCVS).
>So I disabled pserver, and thought I could communicate/authenticate using
>SSPI.

Yes, you can. I have such a setup running myself.
- Open the Internet firewall on port 2401 for redirect to the CVSNT
server. I would not experiment with different ports until I get the
basics working.

- On the outside use CVSROOT=:sspi:user at server:/repo where "server" is
the DNS name of your firewall or its IP address.

- Do a cvs login and specify the user password

Now all is set up for accessing the internal server from outside the
firewall using a cvs client.

>Client workstations are not on same CVSNT server domain, and run Windows XP
>(Home or Pro).
Don't use XP Home. It's networking capabilities are crippled.

>1. Server
>Running Win XP Pro running CVSNT. Disabled simple file sharing.
>Created "newuser" with no password.

Why did you want to do this? It's a security hole.

>Created 'xpuser' on CVSNT server domain.

So the server is member of a proper domain then?

>xpuser has all security privileges in C:\CVSREPO and C:\CVSTEMP dirs (and so
>SYSTEM and ADMIN users).
>I disabled pserver plug-in.

That's Ok provieded you want to use sspi only.

>Added 1 repository named /Test located at
>C:\CVSREPO\Test
>
>2. Client
>On TortoiveCVS client, I try to obtain Test module using: (I changed port)
What do you mean by "obtain Test module"???
There is as yet no module except the admin module CVSROOT in your new
repository!

>:sspi:xpuser at myserver:1703/Test

Do not change the port, use the default 2401 at the beginning.
Go to a command window on the server PC itself and use the command
line client so you can minimize problems.
set CVSROOT=:sspi:xpuser at myserver:/Test
cvs login (enter password)
cvs ls

There should be no errors here.

Now repeat the same on a different PC on the inside network where you
have installed the CVSNT client. If you have not installed it you can
copy the contents of the CVSNT install dir to the other PC and set
your path to point to the folder where the copied files are located.

You should not get any errors here either.

>But get the same unrecognired auth error.
>At first, TortoiseCVS gets this error and prompts for a password.
>I type the very same password I used to register user xpuser on CVSNT
>server.

What do you mean by "register user xpuser on CVSNT server"????
There is no registration action used in CVS....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)