[cvsnt] Stress Tests results for CVSNT/CVS/Subversion

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Fri Feb 17 22:33:27 GMT 2006

Sunil Guzman wrote:
> Are builds that you “rejected to send to commercial support customers” routinely foisted on non-paying customers? What is the intent of this process? To destabilize installations at non-paying customer sites and “encourage” them to become “commercial support customers”?

Not "foisted" but rather offered to those who would like to see the
latest new features.  There are points when all the newest features are
stabilized, those are marked "Stable".  I think currently the "stable"
release is the same one that the commercial customers are using from
what Tony had said earlier.  The stable release will get some patches if
issues are found while the main development line continues on adding new
features.

Stick to the stable versions in your production environment and testing.
  Apparently this stress test done was against an unstable version.  The
open source project shares *all* the builds, including the less than
perfect (or downright buggy).

If you want stability, stick to the versions marked "stable" (or
purchase a support agreement, which will have you stick to the stable
version anyway).  If you need immediate professional support, or just
need to know it is available when you might need it, then a support
contract with March-Hare would be appropriate.

The CVS group does an excellent at keeping their 'stable' version stable
you certainly won't go wrong if you choose them for stability.  I think
Subversion is immature feature-wise relative to both CVS and CVSNT, so I
wouldn't necessarily recommend them but I haven't directly used it.
However, everything I hear about Subversion says it's a good product
overall.

Note that there is professional support options for CVS as well.  I
don't believe Subversion currently has professional support.  Regardless
of which product you choose, I'd encourage you to look into getting
professional support on the product if your business depends on having
your SCM product available.  Downtime of your developers gets expensive
very quickly.

IMHO, the CVSNT stable versions are the best choice for an organization
regardless of which OS you're using because of some of the features
built into the server:  ACLs, authentication methods, mergepoints, et. al.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett