[cvsnt] How to get the diffs between branchpoint and tip of branch

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Feb 28 16:55:09 GMT 2006

> Now you have got an assignment to solve a problem and you create a
> branch off HEAD (possibly after updating your sandbox to get all
> the latest stuff).
> The solution should be based on current HEAD and while you are
> working on this others continue developing on TRUNK.

Unfortunately, the TRUNK symbol does not exist and IIRC Tony held the
position that we don't need it as it is the same as HEAD (which it
isn't!!!).

 [BB:] I was not using TRUNK as a cvs recognized symbol rather talking
about development continuing on trunk thus making the HEAD I used as
base for the branch move ahead....
Of course TRUNK and HEAD are not the same, that is why I used these
words in the first place. HEAD is the tip of the TRUNK of the file tree,
it is like the tip of the "branch" "TRUNK" and HEAD moves on after the
branch I created is started...

> You want to create a new branch on the BASE of the existing branch.

Be careful with your terminology. In contrast to TRUNK, BASE *is* an
existing reserved symbol and it does not have anything to do with
branches. Rather it refers to the "base revision" of a (modified)
sandbox file, i.e. what gets implicitly used as a second argument when
you diff with only one -r option.

[BB:] Again I did not use the BASE word as a cvs recognized keyword,
I just wanted to convey the base of the branch, what in Swedish would
have been something like "stam" or similar. Anyway from where the
branch was created.

> Problem:
> How to handle files that have been added along the way???

Simple: they did not exist at the time the branch was created, thus
they shouldn't be checked out when you request the branchpoint snapshot.

[BB:] I remember that we discussed this a while ago and there were cases
when it was very difficult to tell if a file had been added or not. But
I don't
remember the details...
Anyway one wants to get to the starting point just like updating with a
timestamp set at exactly the time the branch was created. This will get
the
files that existed on the trunk at that time.