[cvsnt] Re: Repository auditing with Oracle

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Jan 10 10:13:21 GMT 2006

Paulo Soares wrote:

> All the databases (maybe not sqllite) provide sequences that can be
> queried and auto-incremented in an atomic way. Oracle also has rowid

On the contrary - Mysql, Mssql, Access, Sqlite... autoincrement support
is much more prevalent - only oracle seems to not support it.

Not supporting them which is a pain but not something that can't be
coded around... the database API is able to hide the difference from the
rest of the code... It would rather complicate the insert statements
though since the oracle driver will have to modify them to directly
insert the ID column (unless some common syntax can be worked out but I
can't think of any).

I much prefer the automatic way of doing it TBH, but then I've been
doing it that way for 10 years or more.