[cvsnt] Re: Repository auditing with Oracle

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Tue Jan 10 15:41:08 GMT 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Paulo Soares wrote:
>
>> All the databases (maybe not sqllite) provide sequences that can be
>> queried and auto-incremented in an atomic way. Oracle also has rowid
>

> On the contrary - Mysql, Mssql, Access, Sqlite... autoincrement support
> is much more prevalent - only oracle seems to not support it.

I usually resort to using a GUID for multiple-location instances where
ID just wouldn't work.  It would be helpful in this case too, since the
GUID could be generated by CVSNT independent of which DB is running.

The downside is a less readable PK and larger field size.  Overall
though it would probably be the more 'proper' way to approach it with a
DB layer that contains the necessary DB-specific ID generation step for
Oracle.  Of course that's difficult to say as a blanket statement -- I
don't know the requirements that are used as the basis for setting up
the schema.  I think though when I read between the lines, that is
exactly what has been done.

--
Glen Starrett