[cvsnt] Re: building the cvs docs

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Jan 19 23:45:31 GMT 2006

David Somers wrote:

> Randomize the filenames? Never seen that.

tmh at sisko:~/cvsnt-2501/doc$ xmlto -o test html cvs.dbk
Writing ch01s02.html for sect1(What-is-CVS-not-)
Writing ch01s03.html for sect1(A-sample-session)
Writing ch01.html for chapter(Overview)
Writing ch02s02.html for sect1(Repository-storage)
Writing ch02s03.html for sect1(Working-directory-storage)
Writing ch02s04.html for sect1(Intro-administrative-files)
Writing ch02s05.html for sect1(Multiple-repositories)
Writing ch02s06.html for sect1(Creating-a-repository)
Writing ch02s07.html for sect1(Backing-up)
Writing ch02s08.html for sect1(Moving-a-repository)

tmh at sisko:~/cvsnt-2501/doc$ ./build cvs 2503
Writing What-is-CVS-not-.html for sect1(What-is-CVS-not-)
Writing A-sample-session.html for sect1(A-sample-session)
Writing Overview.html for chapter(Overview)
Writing Repository-storage.html for sect1(Repository-storage)
Writing Working-directory-storage.html for sect1(Working-directory-storage)
Writing Intro-administrative-files.html for
sect1(Intro-administrative-files)
Writing Multiple-repositories.html for sect1(Multiple-repositories)
Writing Creating-a-repository.html for sect1(Creating-a-repository)
Writing Backing-up.html for sect1(Backing-up)
Writing Moving-a-repository.html for sect1(Moving-a-repository)

The filenames are fixed, based on the section names.  When referring
people to the documentation this is extremely useful, since whatever
version they have the filename will be the same, even if I've inserted a
chapter or three (when the docs are online it also helps the google
indexer to get the same page each time).

In xsltproc this is the '-stringparam use.id.as.filename 1' option.  I
can't see an equivalent for xmlto (in my version (0.0.18-5) at least).