[cvsnt] FW: Does Edit work per-branch ?

kerry richard richard.kerry at siemens.com
Mon Jan 30 12:29:31 GMT 2006

I've just done a test of 'cvs edit' and it appears to treat branches separately, which seems wrong.

I have a file (call it file1), and a branch on that file (call it Branch1).
I've an entry in my 'CVSROOT/cvsrc' saying 'edit -c', so that all edits are -c, ie reserved.
I have two users, User1 and User2.
Each user has two sandboxes, one with HEAD and the other with Branch1.

User1 does a successful 'cvs edit' on the version of the file on HEAD.
If User2 tries to do a 'cvs edit' on File1, he gets a 'Files being edited!' failure.
This is what I expect.

Howeever, if User2 attempts a 'cvs edit' on the Branch1 version of the file, it succeeds !
This I find surprising.....
I think this is wrong as it means anyone finding a file is locked for editing can get around the lock just by requesting to edit the file on a branch.  As the reason we want to use locking is for files that can't be merged, this seems to be a problem.  Ie the file can't be merged so we're enforcing locking, but the lock can easily be circumvented using a branch which gets us back into the position of a merge being required.

Am I missing something ?  Is this a bug ?
Is there another mode whereby edit locks happen over all branches of a file ?

Uncertainly,
Richard.

PS.
client 2.5.02.2091
server 2.5.02.2091
Tortoise 1.9.6.1005

Richard Kerry
Colledia Control Engineer
Solutions Division - Siemens Business Services
Room 457 Design Building, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ
T: +44 (0)20 82259063 F: +44 (0)20 8576 8182 M: +44 (0)7921 244993
Email: richard.kerry at siemens.com
Website:  www.sbs.siemens.co.uk  <http://www.sbs.siemens.co.uk />    www.sbs.siemens.co.uk/sbsmedia <http://www.sbs.siemens.co.uk/sbsmedia>

This e-mail contains confidential information and is for the exclusive use of the addressee/s.  If you are not the addressee, then any distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is prohibited. If received in error, please advise the sender and delete it immediately.  We accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person arising from use of this e-mail.

Siemens Business Services Limited
Registered No: 1203466 England
Registered Office: Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FZ