[cvsnt] Re: FW: Does Edit work per-branch ?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jan 30 23:00:11 GMT 2006

kerry richard wrote:

> Howeever, if User2 attempts a 'cvs edit' on the Branch1 version of the
> file, it succeeds ! This I find surprising..... I think this is wrong as
> it means anyone finding a file is locked for editing can get around the
> lock just by requesting to edit the file on a branch.  As the reason we
> want to use locking is for files that can't be merged, this seems to be
> a problem.  Ie the file can't be merged so we're enforcing locking, but
> the lock can easily be circumvented using a branch which gets us back
> into the position of a merge being required.
>
> Am I missing something ?

If you really don't want to merge the files, you shouldn't branch them.
This is the whole issue. Once you branch them, you may have to merge them
(or decide which one to keep).

Say you use the global 'cvs edit -w', as Tony says. What good does it do
for you if User1 'cvs edit -w' the file on HEAD, then commits it, then
User2 'cvs edit -w' the file on Branch1, then commits it? From the 'cvs
edit -w' point of view, everything is ok. But in the end, you still will
have to either merge them or decide which version you want to keep -- this
is completely independent of whether the edit was global or branch-only.

Gerhard