[cvsnt] Re: Best practice: .cvsignore files

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Mon Jul 10 07:24:53 BST 2006

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:19:42 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>> As others have said ignore policies should normally be global.  There isn't a
>> whole lot to be gained by everyone ignoring different patterns of files... in
>> fact it'll lead to confusion as one developer commits a file that the other is
>> ignoring.
>
>What happens is that sometimes people have private but project-related
>files in their sandbox that don't belong in the repository. That's why we
>created the policy how to name those; you can then always create a Myfoo.h
>file or a MyPhotos folder, and they'll be ignored.

Ignored by who and for what??
As far as I know the cvsignore file simply tells the client which
files are not candidates for being included in a cvs *import*
operation (and this is of course seldom happening in an existing
module) and for some front ends like WinCvs it is also used to filter
out unwanted files from being shown. But there is nothing stopping you
from cvs add-ing such a file anyway and after it is part of the module
it will be shown just fine also in WinCvs.

CVS never adds anything to the repository by itself, it is always done
by the user and he can do pretty much as he likes.
We have .zip in the cvsignore file but that is no stopper when we want
to add a zip file anyway, cvs add foo.zip works just fine...

/Bo Berglund