[cvsnt] Re: Best practice: .cvsignore files

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jul 10 12:35:42 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

>>What happens is that sometimes people have private but project-related
>>files in their sandbox that don't belong in the repository. That's why we
>>created the policy how to name those; you can then always create a Myfoo.h
>>file or a MyPhotos folder, and they'll be ignored.
>
> Ignored by who and for what??

Ignored for example by the cvs update command. I don't get long lists of
irrelevant files with question marks in front of them that I have to check
each time to make sure I didn't forget to add a file.

Ignored also for example by GUI frontends like WinCvs and TortoiseCVS. For
example, after a few hours work on an issue, I can go to the top level
directory and call the TCVS "add contents" dialog, and it won't propose
ignored files for addition. (This can be enabled, but let's just assume
it's not.) Serves the same purpose as above: I don't have to repeatedly
look through the same list of files that shouldn't show up here in the
first place.

I find it helpful to list as ignored everything that is in a sandbox that
doesn't belong in the repository.

Gerhard