[cvsnt] Re: CVS slow on LAN, fast on Internet ? Why?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Jul 19 02:40:20 BST 2006

>> version is 1.12.13
>
> That version is NOT a CVSNT version
> and this is the CVSNT list so you
> are probably asking in the wrong place.

He's probably thinking that since the server is the same but the
performance different on the client that it's a client issue (which on
windows is almost guarenteed to be CVSNT).

Which brings me to my usual next point.  If you are using CVSNT on your
client, you really should consider using CVSNT on your SuSE Linux server
(yes CVSNT runs on Linux).  Also CVS 1.12 is an UNSTABLE version,
whereas CVSNT 2.5.03 for Linux is stable.

As for the performance problem - anti virus software on the work
computer is a leading reason.  Also the amount of client memory and the
speed of the client disk make a big difference.  Of course that one
switch in your office could also be one faulty switch...

Regards,

Arthur