[cvsnt] Execute permission lost when file is tagged

Tony Eva teva at Airspan.com
Thu Jul 20 09:45:24 BST 2006

Glen Starrett wrote:

> I think his issue is that the repository was migrated from an
> older CVS 1.11 or 1.12 server to CVSNT.  Then he hasn't modified
> the script, just tagged it.

That's exactly the case. The repository was migrated from CVS 1.12,
with only the CVSROOT directory being changed for CVSNT.  All other
directories were left completely untouched.

> Possibly a problem where tag doesn't migrate the file
> permissions into the new RCS file when there is no existing
> permission record, but that's just a guess.
>
> Tony Eva -- Try going into your sandbox, setting the permissions
> properly, then do a checkin -f to force it to commit with the
> correct permissions and see if that clears up the problem.

Thank you, that has cleared the problem.  If I examine the RCS
file after the commit -f I see that it now has a "permissions 755;"
line that was not there before.  I hadn't realised that the
permissions are stored in the RCS file -- I assume that this is
a CVSNT feature?

It might be a good idea to add this to the Wiki as part of the
section on migrating a repository from CVS to CVSNT.

Thanks for the help.