[cvsnt] Re: Best way to check out missing subdir?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jul 21 23:22:53 BST 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:35:33 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>> I did this but it added Entries.Static to the CVS dir...
>
>To what CVS dir? X/CVS or X/Y/CVS?
I think it was in the parent dir, but I have deleted it since...

>If it's X/Y/CVS, then this should be easy to clear; just use "up -d":
Gets me all of the other dirs I don't want...

>----------------------
>Entries.Static
>
>    The only relevant thing about this file is whether it exists or not. If
>it exists, then it means that only part of a directory was gotten and cvsnt
>will not create additional files in that directory. To clear it, use the
>update command with the -d option, which will get the additional files and
>remove Entries.Static.
>----------------------
>
>Maybe you can just delete it? At least this is what, somehow, this
>description seems to say :)
>
>What is the effect of this file, anyway? The description is not clear to
>me. A normal update wouldn't get any new files? That sounds strange. I
>don't remember this behavior. I've had directories in my sandbox where I
>didn't get all subdirectories, but IIRC an update (without -d) on that
>directory still got new files (just not new subdirectories).
>
>Or maybe you can use "up -dl" to clear it if its in X/CVS and it's
>necessary to clear it?

When you want to get certain specific files out of a directory, for
example from some "common" dir that holds tons of uninteresting stuff
you can do a ceckout where you list the specific files. THis creates
Entries.Static and makes sure that an update in that sandbox never
adds any files, just updates the existing ones. Very handy for example
when dealing with programs that share some common files and you create
virtual modules that check out just exactly what the particular
program project needs. We do it all te time for that purpose.
And that is why I was not liking the way it was created when I tried
to get a single *directory* from the server....

/Bo Berglund