[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT is crashing

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jul 23 23:35:13 BST 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:53:53 -0400, "Beale, James H."
<JAMES.H.BEALE at saic.com> wrote:

>I have cvsnt version 2.5.03.2382 installed on a Windows 2000 SP 4 machine.
>
>I created a repository and was able to login remotely using WinCVS.  I
>imported a module and was able to check out the CVSROOT folder.  I edited
>the modules file, added the imported module, and committed the changes.

OK, but exactly *how* did you enter the module into the modules
file??? The exact line you used should be posted here.

>The server reported success with "Rebuilding administrative file database".
>
>Everything is fine up to this point.
>
>When I try to check out the new module, I get the following:
>
>cvs -d :pserver;username=administrator;hostname=10.10.60.12;port=2401:/LFT
>checkout -P -- Client (in directory C:\temp)
>cvs checkout: cwd=C:\temp ,current=C:\temp
>cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
>any)

I have now been able to do a test on my test CVSNT server at home
running build 2382 on an XP-Pro machine. It looks like CVSNT can get
into trouble just because of a modules file entry...

- I have a top level module called ModuleZZ. 15 dirs and 22 files.
- I added this to the modules file:
ModuleZZ -a ModuleZZ
- Then I tried to do a checkout of ModuleZZ, which used up a lot of
CPU by cvs.exe for a long time.
Actually the cvs.exe process did not end but increased memory usage
stepwise up to 500 Mb after 30 seconds at which time it stopped using
49% CPU cycles but did nothing. I had to stop it with ctrl-C. It then
stayed on in Task Manager for about another 30 seconds before
disappearing...

If I comment out the modules file line the checkout completes
successfully in no time.

Question:
Is there some kind of loop that CVSNT gets into if the modules
identifier coincides with a top level directory name???

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)