[cvsnt] Retrieve Version Other Than Date And Time Process When Forgot To Create A Tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Mon Jul 31 07:17:35 BST 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:53:31 +0530, "Sabahat Adil"
<sabadil at perfexa.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>I forgot to create a Tag on previous Version.I am trying to retrieve
>that Version through date and time process,but the difference between the two commits is very less.I have tried on all the time
>between the two commits,but unable to retrieve that version.Is
>there is any other way to retrieve that version,other than date and
>time process.

If you are talking about a single file then it is very simple:
Look at the file history:
cvs log filename

Now you will get a complete listing of the revisions that exist for
this file and you can decide which to retrieve. Say the file has 15
revisions and you want revision 9:
cvs update -r 1.9 filename

If there are more than one file that you want to retrieve then you
must use the date and time, but the cvs log will help you find the
correct time to use. Do a cvs log on a file that was committed at the
last time and see from the log output which timestamp the commit was
done on. Then do a cvs update with the time specifier:

cvs log filename:
revision 1.9
date: 2004/08/20 22:06:59;  author: bosse;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2;
kopt: kv;  commitid: a64412676010000;  filename: filename;
Added new items to configuration application

cvs update -D 2004/08/20 22:07:01

I added 2 minutes to the time to make sure that I catch all of the
files.
This will update the whole sandox to the datetime 2 minutes after the
commit of revision 1.9 of filename.

/Bo Berglund