[cvsnt] Retrieve Version Other Than Date And Time Process When Forgot To Create A Tag

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Mon Jul 31 14:24:28 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> cvs log filename:
> revision 1.9
> date: 2004/08/20 22:06:59;  author: bosse;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2;
> kopt: kv;  commitid: a64412676010000;  filename: filename;
> Added new items to configuration application
>
> cvs update -D 2004/08/20 22:07:01
>
> I added 2 minutes to the time to make sure that I catch all of the
> files.

Bo actually added 2 seconds. Using two minutes, the command would be

  cvs update -D 2004/08/20 22:08:59

If you are afraid of picking up unwanted files that got committed a bit
later, you can also start with a time equal to the original commit and then
go forward with successive updates in small steps (e.g. one minute). Every
update will then only get from the repository what has changed in between.
This process will show you quickly which files have been committed in that
time range that is of interest to you, and allows you to check out those
(usually very few) files individually to verify whether the later revision
belongs to the set you want to tag or not.

Gerhard