[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT does not support *large* binary files (crashes onthem)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Jun 19 00:51:34 BST 2006

Serge,

> I know one which was started in 1984 and is still in development.
> It was moved from RCS to ClearCase in 2001 because history processing
> took too much time.

Let me repeat myself: CVSNT is "free", not as in "free beer" but as in
"freedom to contribute", therefore when you come across a bug please
create a new thread in the newsgroup and report the bug and supply the
necessary information so that we can address it:
http://march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#2z

Or if your organisation is willing to fork out the software and support
costs that IBM charge for clearcase, consider asking them to pay for
professional support which will provide your organisation with access to
the engineers who write CVS and ensure that you the features of most
value to you get priority.

> (BTW, CVSNT has the same/bad time processing dependency from length
> of the history).

Are you talking about "history" here or "log"?

The "cvs history" command is useless since it never returns an accurate
history.  The history logging function was designed with the principle
of "if for any reason the server cannot record the history then ignore
the error", including write errors.  So the user must always assume that
the history is inaccurate.  CVSNT has an Audit module that should be
used instead, and you can write your own reports (using Excel, or
Crystal Reports or whatever).  The audit will cause the server not to be
changed unless the audit is successful, therefore ensuring the audit is
a faithful trail of all changes to the server.

The plan for CVSNT 2.6 is that the the audit database will be used for
"cvs history" queries instead (or perhaps it will be a new command of
its own, or a switch on the history command).

Regards,

Arthur