[cvsnt] Q: cvslock.exe error for "user" but not for "administrator" on Win XP Pro SP2

Petr Prikryl PrikrylP at skil.cz
Thu Mar 2 08:34:01 GMT 2006

Hi,

Shortly: I am observing cvslock error when
doing typical cvs operations on Windows XP Pro
SP2 for normal "user" privileges. OK for
"administrator" privileges. How to fix the settings?

(I tried to find the answer, really. Possibly
did not try hard enough. ;)

I am using CVSNT for quite a long time, but
only in a simple environment, i.e. only on my
local computer, not accessible from outside.

Until recently I did use Win 2000 Pro with
no problem [version 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build
2151 (client/server)] using administrator's
privileges.

I have decided to switch to Windows XP Pro SP2
at home and tried to work as a normal user.
I have installed the cvsnt under administrator
and it works fine under administrator.

When I log-in as a normal user and do
things like 'cvs co...' it seems to work
(and it seems to finish the work), but the
message about cvslock.exe error appears.

The repository was copied under administrator
privileges to the same place as on the old
computer. I believe I did remove the read-only
attributes (copied via CD).

I believe that it is a well known problem and
it is only my blindness of some kind. Any
pointer of "Here you are, you stupid: URL..."
is O.K.

Thanks for your time and experience,
  Petr

--